Departure Conditions

Leaving Europe | Departure conditions/formalities | Switzerland

Export of unemployment benefit

If you qualify for benefits from the Swiss unemployment insurance, you have the right – based on article 69 VO EWG 1408/71 – to export those benefits to another EU/EFTA member state. Before you can claim this right, you must have been registered as unemployed for at least 4 weeks after the beginning of unemployment with the primary responsible labour administration and have been at their disposal for this time prior to your departure. You have to register as a job-seeker in the country from which you export the benefits and undergo the local controls. The right to export benefits is granted for 3 months at the most.

Further information on transferring unemployment benefits can be found here.