Skip to main content
Living in EuropeAccommodationSwitzerland



The current tight market for vacant apartments means that it can be relatively difficult to find the perfect match, above all if you plan to settle in Geneva or Zurich, so make sure to start looking for your place to live well in advance.

How can I find an accommodation?

As a starting point visit to get an overview of the current rental prices. Also contact your local EURAXESS Centre; they will be glad to help you find a place to stay.

Consult the accommodation or property pages published in the newspapers and official gazettes/advertisers. Most Swiss newpapers regularly publish lists of vacant accommodation. Contact the estate agents operating in your preferred region or the commune where you are planning to settle, as most communes keep an updated list of vacant apartements in their area.

Consult the websites specialized in the provision of accommodation:


Rent covers the apartment itself and any additional rooms or other living space (such as a storage area, shared laundry room, yard and/or balcony) available for the tenant's use. It also includes the costs that are shared among all the tenants in the building, such as building maintenance and electricity for the common areas of the building. These shared costs are different from utilities.

The Swiss Federal Statistical Office's survey provide information on rental prices and the type of owners of rented dwellings. Please note that the average prices do not contain extra charges or heating costs and that the rental costs may vary considerably, depending on the region and canton and on whether you are looking for an apartment in the town centre or out in the countryside.

What are the conditions for renting an apartment?

Personal liability insurance is an insurance that protects you against damage claims made by third parties. For example, the insurance will cover damage you cause to a rented apartment. Since any damage claims may become expensive, most landlords require tenants to provide proof of liability insurance; for more information go to Insurance.


Should a conflict arise between yourself and the landlord during the period of your contract or on its termination, we advise you to contact a tenant's assocation which will provide you with valuable assistance on payment of a small fee.

Those Tenant's associations are active in different parts of Switzerland: