ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Basel
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Physical chemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/03/2020 17:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONSwitzerland › Basel
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
OFFER STARTING DATE01/06/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER859415
You are kindly invited to apply for a 36-month position of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) in the areas of polymer chemistry, pharmaceutics and biomedical science. The successful applicant will join the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (ITN) BIOMOLMACS: Artificial organelles in cells (ESR12), working under the supervision of Prof. Wolfgang Meier.
BIOMOLMACS is an exciting and interdisciplinary project funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement number 859416. BIOMOLMACS will train the next generation of scientists in the area of Molecular Machines. In total, there will be 15 Early Stage Researchers in the BIOMOLMACS ITN programme and these ESRs will be trained on the design, synthesis, and characterization of such complex (macro)molecular building blocks, their subsequent devices, as well as their utilization in artificial and living cells. A detailed training programme and further information on the consortium are provided on the www.biomolmacs.com webpage.
This ESR12 position is offered in conjunction with a PhD studentship at the University of Basel, subject to the applicant satisfying the admissions requirements of the university. The successful applicant will be required to enroll to undertake a PhD degree under the supervision of Prof. Wolfgang Meier. The ESR candidate can be enrolled on a 4-year structured PhD at the University of Basel, but she/he should be required to self-fund after the initial 36 months for the successful completion of the PhD program.
We are looking for curious, creative and energetic bright minds which are willing to become involved in the research and training activities of this project. You will be trained by an excellent team of academics who are the world-leading experts in their fields. The ESR12, who will be appointed on this project will focus on the development of molecular factories for in-vivo drug production and release. An efficient and selective encapsulation of active nanoreactors is the basis for locally producing specific drugs. The selective encapsulation of nanoreactors in a larger compartment is based on newly synthesized, biodegradable, amphiphilic block copolymers. The kinetics of the reaction cascade in the nanoreactors has to be quantified in solution, in-situ and in-vivo. This requires combination of several sensitive methods like dynamic spectroscopy, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy etc. Therefore, a demonstrated knowledge of at least three of the following: pharmaceutical formulation development, drug delivery, cell culture/molecular biology, nanotechnology, polymerization techniques is required to carry out the project successfully.
Further information on the research interests of Prof. Wolfgang Meier can be found on their website. https://www.chemie1.unibas.ch/~meier/
For the 36 months of employment contract, the ESR12 will be required to work exclusively on the MSCA ITN programme (BIOMOLMACS). In all cases, all duties and responsibilities will be clearly outlined in the researchers Personal Career Development Plan, as determined in the early stages of the project between the ESR and their supervisory committee.
You will have the chance to:
- participate in specially developed courses (e.g. on specific techniques, academic soft skills, etc.);
- build a new personal and professional network at a very early stage in your career due to the embedding of our PhD projects in an academic and industrial network;
- attend two internships (also known as ‘secondments’) at two of our academic partners in the BIOMOLMACS network, in order to gain new insights into the research related to this project.
- get an attractive salary plus an allowances package in accordance with the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) rules and the personal circumstances of the applicant. The exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment and is dependent on the Country correction factor (to allow for the difference in cost of living in different EU Member States). For further information please visit the EU MSCA website.
The applicants can be of any nationality.
At the time of recruitment, the researcher must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to his/her recruitment. Short stays, such as holidays, are not considered.
ESR candidates must be at the time of recruitment by the host organization, in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree. This is measured from the date when they obtained the Master’s degree that would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate.
The following documents must be provided:
- Application form (see attachment).
- Motivation Letter (describing research career goals, skills, experience, and highlighting the consistency between the candidate’s profile and the chosen ESR position).
- A complete Curriculum Vitae with references to past research and training experiences.
- Copies of Bachelor and Master’s certificates/diploma & transcripts.
- Two Reference Letters.
- Publications (if available).
- Applications should be submitted in English.
- BIOMOLMACS recruitment and employment strategy is based on an equal opportunities policy and in full compliance with the principle of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. We value diversity, and do not discriminate based on gender, religion, marital status, age, or cultural background.
- BIOMOLMACS seeks to increase the number of women in those scientific areas where they are under-represented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
For any informal queries, please contact Prof. Wolfgang Meier by email at email@example.com
For queries relating to the application and admission process please contact Dr Remzi Becer at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at +44 2476 523236
We will come back to you soon after the application deadline is over. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview (traveling to each partner's site may not be necessary). Winners will be announced around middle of April 2020. Applications received after the deadline might still be considered if the position has not been filled yet.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: Master Degree or equivalentPharmacological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Applicants should hold or expect to attain a Master degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Materials Science, Biomedical Science, Polymer Chemistry, Pharmaceutics or related area.
- Research project carried out in at least one of the above disciplines.
- A demonstrated knowledge of at least three of the following: pharmaceutical formulation development, drug delivery, cell culture/molecular biology, nanotechnology, polymerization techniques.
- Evidence of interest, aptitudes and research experience in the above disciplines.
- Work placement undertaken in an industry related to the above disciplines.
1. You have not resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc) in the country of your host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to your recruitment.
2. At the time of recruitment, you are in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research career (after having obtained your M.Sc. degree) and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
3. Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English, please see University of Basel’s English Language Requirements for details (https://www.unibas.ch/en/Studies/Application-Admission/Admission/Languag...).
EURAXESS offer ID: 483643
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.